Digimon Adventure Tri: Ketsui

All about internal battles with some added comedy

Digimon Adventure Tri is back with a very strong sequel. I kept putting it off because of exams and re-watching old anime and what not, and I'm glad that it was worth the wait.

Ketsui again comes in 4 episodes and continues just slightly after the events in Saikai, with Odaiba under repair. Mimi takes more of the limelight this time after being somewhat in the background since she was in the USA, and Joe is still pretty much AWOL since he's too busy studying for entrance exams rather than prioritising the safety of those around him. Cold-hearted I guess since he wants to progress in the real world and wants to leave his life as a DigiDestined behind, much to the dismay of everyone and Gomamon.

But it's not all dark as there are great comedy moments before things take a turn for the worse, some of which continue in the form of the Digimon group. They're awesome.

Okay so back to the internal battles. They remain a running theme throughout, which I like since it's a very strong one. It makes Digimon stand out from the rest of the anime I watched in my childhood, which I'm sure most of you will agree with when you watch this; it adds much more character depth and complexity to the story and proves that every minute of an episode does not need to be filled with raw action.As I mentioned, this is focused on Mimi and Joe who are the total opposites of each other. Because Tai and Matt are pretty much the main two out of the group, Mimi's decision to take the spotlight is different now that she's grown a lot, bringing mixed results. Joe, on the other hand, is trying to take many steps back by prioritising studies, leaving Gomamon on the sidelines as everyone else tries to figure out what to do next. He's growing on me and I can't help seeing how adorable he looks whenever I see him. Not that I remember who my favourite Digimon was originally.

Going back to the story of Adventure Tri, this time around there's a new threat along with the Infected Digimon, and a person who is apparently not a newcomer. Well to me he is, but to everyone else they've encountered him once before. He looks like an evil version of Tai to me though. Anyway, so with Alphamon some old Digimon make a return and add to the story despite minimal appearances.

And finally, the Digimon themselves. They're so much funnier and adorable you can't help but smile as they act like children. It breaks the tension between everyone, especially Matt and Tai, and the events going on around them. Meicoomon fits in well with the others and she's just adorable, but Gomamon is my favourite out of the two. We know that Meicoomon is somewhat of a target in the midst of everything going on, and those last few minutes at the end of the final episode are just.....Eugh you just want to hit someone!

I enjoyed Ketsui as it shows just how well Digimon copes with the complexity added every time, and is balanced well with the comedy you see more of this time around. I'll be watching this along with Saikai again before the third part to Adventure Tri comes out, which I recommend since they're just great additions to the original Digimon story.

Comments